Students at the Strathclyde University in Glasgow, Scotland have occupied the main administration building (McCance) in solidarity with the people of Gaza, and with other students who have taken similar action in Universities across Britain. The occupation followed a ‘march for Gaza’, and despite the ugly and heavy handed attempts by the University security to break up the march the students refused to leave the McCance building and have presented an agreed list of demands to the University authorities.
UPDATE: The University has called in the police. Please express your support by publiczing this widely. Also call the protesting students on: 0759 5626057 or 07989 796 280
A movement has been sweeping across Britain in protest at the the Israeli state’s massacre and the complicity of our government and university. This demonstration builds on the victories across the U.K and beyond in opposing murder in Gaza and all those who support it. The demands which are presently being delivered to the University principal are:
1) Cancel the contract with Eden Springs (an Israeli water company that is the University’s main supplier).
2) Divestment from the arms manufacturer BAE systems and invesigate alternative sources of funding for the Engineering Department.
3) Issue a statement condemning the Israeli states recent massacre of Gaza.
4) Fund and facilitate 50 scholarships for Palestinian students at Strathclyde University.
5) Solidarity with the Islamic University of Gaza: write a letter of support; twin Strathclyde with the university, and aid in its rebuilding.
6) Condemn the BBC for not showing the DEC appeal; show the appeal in lecture theatres and organise a fundraising day on campus.
7) Oppose Israeli academics who promote military research at Strathclyde University