Having presented a petition signed by over 30 academics and 700 students to the Principal of the University, around 50 St Andrews University students have occupied Lower College Hall in protest at the University’s links with the Israeli occupation.
We, the concerned students of the University of St. Andrews demand that the university condemns the illegal bombing and genocide in Gaza and Israel’s indiscriminate targeting of civilians. In particular, as an educational establishment we urge that it shows practical solidarity with the Islamic university of Gaza and other schools and colleges damaged during the bombing.
We believe that now is the time for the university to firmly and unilaterally cut all financial and commercial ties with any companies that in any way supports the apartheid state of Israel. The university has led the way in adopting a policy of ethical investment. Now is the time for students, staff and management to show that we do not lack the courage to condemn crimes against humanity, nor the generosity to help those who are in such desperate need. Specifically we demand that the university:
- Immediately suspends and pledges not to renew its contract with Eden Springs, the Israeli water company which illegally steals water from the Golan Heights. It is not enough that this contract run out this year, it must be canceled now.
- Investigates its million pound research contracts with defense companies and the ministry of defense. Centrally, that the university sets up a review seeking to find replacement funding for the research contracts with BAE systems and its extensive links to Accenture. Both have close ties with the apartheid regime of Israel.
- Sets up a scholarship program for Palestinian Students and commits to a minimum of 10 scholarships. This would send out an important symbolic message that we will not turn a blind eye to the Palestinian students who are unable to study because of the attacks on educational infrastructure and constant state of terror which prevents students from attending university.
- Organizes a collection on campus, including a broadcasting of the DEC appeal, for aid for Gaza, makes available non-monetary aid such as course books, desks etc. and also establishes links with the Islamic University of Gaza in order to find out how it might aid with reconstruction.
- Following the letter signed by fifty medical students, that Bute medical school provides medical aid for Palestine in the form of medical equipment and drugs and through supporting organizations such as medical aid for Palestine (supported by Medsin)
In all of these measure the university might link up with other Scottish and English universities who are also adopting similar policies in order to develop a common, humanitarian and equitable approach to Israeli companies and those linked to its war machine and to the Palestinian people and its ravaged educational infrastructure.
St Andrews Univeresity Student Occupation
Please send your messages of support to the students at St Andrews University who have just began their occupation in protest at the University’s complicity in Israel’s crimes against the Palestinian people: firstname.lastname@example.org
Student are also asking for anyone living or working in the area to visit them – show your support!
6 thoughts on “St Andrews University Student Occupation”
Well done! Don’t let them dismiss you and remember that university management promises are never set in stone, so make sure you get a full, signed statement! Read all the messages of support for the other uni occupations – they’re inspiring!
Sarah from Strathclyde
Viva Viva! Great work. Stay strong and believe in yourselves. You can make a difference.
Gregor from Glasgow.
Was really great to visit you guys yesterday, you’ve inspired us here at Dundee so we’ll keep you posted on what we do.
Look forward to hearing about your victory!
Richard, Dundee Uni Stop the War
Thank you all for your messages of support. If you could also send messages to email@example.com to let the University know the depth of feeling on this issue, that would also be really appreciated.
The Students of St Andrews
Congratulations on your courageous action. There could not be a better time to raise your just aims. As a minor suggestion, perhaps you could consider adding an academic boycott of Israeli academia to your general campaign aims (although you may find it hard to add them to your immediate list of ocupation demands having already ‘submitted’ them, but you are obviously best placed to decide.
In the mean time, I thought you might like to have a look at some of these videos and articles to remind you that you are not alone!